Saturday, March 7, 2009

Penne with Sausage and Mushroom Gratin

During our throwback week, both Ms. Supertaster and I were looking forward to making (and eating) this pasta dish again. Unlike most baked pastas, the majority of the cooking is done on the stove and then finished in the broiler. This method saves a good amount of time making this a perfect hearty weekday meal.

This meal is also greater than the sum of its parts. Pick up some sausage, mozzarella, mushrooms, and cream at the store this weekend and you will immediately add this to your list of favorites.

Product plug: I used fresh mozzarella from my friends at Blue Ridge Dairy Co. This is a great article on DCFoodies about an applewood smoked mozzarella that I look forward to sampling soon!

2 comments:

gorgeous said...

That looks awesome. I will need to make some of that sometime, maybe just overloading the mushrooms in the dish.

bdh33 said...

i can't wait to try this one!!