Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Grilled Jerk Pork with Curried Peach Relish


I have access to a grill and lots of new local ingredients this week in Hilton Head and wanted to keep everyone updated on what's cookin'. Both the concept of jerk and curry together (and the fact that I am so close to Georgia) made me zip out to the grocery store for this interesting recipe. Only later did I found out that peak peach season in in August.

From the start I was nervous. The jerk marinade ended up looking more like split pea soup than any other jerk I have experimented with and the peaches were not as sweet as they will be in three months. But everything smelled right so I just kept on trucking. I started adding anything I could find to work on the consistency of the marinade. I ended up adding cinnamon, brown sugar, and onion, lots of garlic and some orange juice.

The pork tenderloin was spot on--juicy and flavorful. After a spicy meal last night, I thought that my dinner guests might start complaining of heart burn, but this is not that hot. I ended up grilling the tenderloin for around 20 min. and letting it rest for 15.

The peach and tomato curry on the side was not as good as advertised. Even after doubling the curry, I didn't even get a hint of that flavor. The concept of the relish is still so interesting that I will definitely make another attempt later in the summer.

Warning to the weeknight cooks: Like most jerked meat, this dish takes several hours of marinading and should be prepared the night before.

Lingering Thoughts: They have you blanch and peel the tomatoes and peaches. If I had to do this again, I would buy canned whole peaches and tomatoes, especially if they are not in season.

No comments: