Friday, February 27, 2009

The People Have Spoken


After an amazing race, the Lamb and Eggplant Shepherd's Pie emerged victorious. (I have to admit that I was excited about this one and voted for it myself.) There are several steps to this recipe so I decided to break it down into two nights. I have come to find out over the past few years that you can substitute "comfort food" with "takes a long time to cook." I made the filling and potatoes on Wednesday and then assembled and cooked on Thursday.

There are two main portions to any shepherd's pie--the filling and the topping. The topping is creamy, made from peeled Russett potatoes, butter, goat cheese and whole milk. This was a departure from the usual mashed potatoes that I have come to love. Usually, I roast a couple of heads of garlic in the oven and squeeze out the cloves into unpeeled Yukon Golds with butter and heavy cream. The filling was good, especially the lamb. I don't eat a lot lamb and loved finding little pieces tucked in the pie. The meat was by far the most interesting part of the dish; but due to the lengthy prep and cook time, I don't think that I am going to make this one again.

5 comments:

gorgeous said...

Cheater. You need to clarify how many times you voted for it yourself. You should change the title to "The Blogger Has Spoken", Recount, recount, recount

supertaster said...

I will post a photo of the curry just to make the sore losers happy.

whimsy & bliss said...

I will openly admit that I voted for the shepherd's pie from more than one computer...there, I said it.

gorgeous said...

ms. supertaster, you are fine. I voted for the curry from multiple computers and would have voted for it from more if I had remembered and I had not missed the deadline. What upsets me is that the democratic process failed!!! Supertaster asked for the voice of his fans and then pushed the votes the way he wanted.
Recount!!!

supertaster said...

Two things Gorgeous: I don't think that is actually Ms. Supertaster (she wanted the curry too) and I only voted once.