Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Special "Sunday" Roast Chicken


I purchased a two whole chickens at the Harris Teeter in Adams Morgan a few weeks ago. If you have not been to this grocery store, you're missing out -- especially if you are shopping at the miserable Giant by the Columbia Heights Metro stop. Every part of the shopping experience is more enjoyable than other local groceries: the food is well stocked, there are good specials every week, checkout lines move quickly, and most people are there simply to shop. (In fact, the only negative thing I've heard about the entire store is that a business manager may or may not have purchased spoiled garlic. For the record, I never saw the garlic.)

I originally planned to butcher the chickens and fry them. I am trying to perfect a nice fried chicken, but had to change plans after buying the Wii Fit this past weekend. An "overweight 43 year old" (thanks, Wii Fit) does not need any fried food. Luckily, I stumbled on a recipe for a Special Sunday Roast Chicken. I ended up cooking the bird on a Wednesday -- with hopes that it would end up as delicious as advertised.

Verdict:
The actual roast chicken is nothing unusual. Schmearing the shallot/sage-butter on top and under the skin helps, but doesn't take the meal to another level. I really enjoyed the sweet potato and parsnip, however. These two tubers don't make it into enough meals, in my opinion.

I have include a large photograph of the presentation over wilted greens. Thanks to Andrew for the feedback!

No comments: